Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

Stealing Christmas



















Santa sent me to the North Pole.
He sent me there with a handful of coal.

I wasn't bad.
But Santa, he just
made me mad.

Every year my brother got more.
It was something I couldn't ignore.

I would have my Christmas Day,
but first I had to get Santa out of my way.

I turned him into a blue jay
so that I could take his sleigh.

But he tricked me into wearing his hat.
Tricked me into being a cat.

My spell only lasted this one Christmas Night.
I had wanted everything to be just right.

But midnight came
and to my shame
my brother found Santa and me.
I wish he'd have been watching tv.
Instead of standing there staring at me.

Then Santa flew at me
and suddenly
I was back to being me.

So I gave him a whack.
But then human Santa was back.

Christmas had ended,
and it hadn't gone as I intended.

“Christmas was mine!
You're already too late!”
I yelled at him, my
voice filled with hate.

Then I heard him say,
“Have it your way!
Christmas is your day!”

That's when I ended up here,
at the North Pole with Santa's reindeer.

A little elf was coming at me
but it turned out to be
my cousin Gabbie.

“Hurry, Santa, into your sleigh!
You don't want to ruin Christmas Day!”

She pushed me into Santa's red sleigh.
Then the reindeer went up, up, and away

I just knew
what she
wanted me to do.

My first stop was to grant a Christmas wish
to give my brother a goldfish.

It felt so great to see his smile.
Next on my list was a boy named Kyle.

He wanted a toy car .
And a girl named Susie
wanted a pink guitar.

Kailey wanted a barbie doll.
Zack wanted a soccer ball.

On and on this list went.
I even delivered a present
to my steady boyfriend Brent.

Giving these gifts made me glad,
made me wish I hadn't been bad.

Then Gabbie appeared suddenly
sitting right beside me.

“You're Santa no more.
Once again you're the cousin I adore.”

She said merrily.
And a change
came over me

I was wearing Santa's clothes
and had Santa's red nose

Then I was back
to wearing black.

My nose was still red
and I still wore
Santa's hat on my head.

I learned something today
and I know it sounds cliché,

but Christmas isn't about me.
It's about friends and family.



No comments:

Post a Comment